Call For Proposals for 2008 AEA International Travel Awards for Conference Presenters
The American Evaluation Association (AEA) is pleased to invite professional evaluators living and practicing in developing countries or countries in transition to submit applications for travel subsidies to attend and present at the 2008 AEA Annual Conference, to be held November 5-8, 2008 in Denver, Colorado, U.S.A. Funds are raised through generous donations to a silent auction held annually. This year we anticipate awarding four travel subsidies of approximately $2,000 each. The subsidies may be used to cover actual travel costs, food, shared accommodations, and conference registration. All awards are paid out at the conference as reimbursement of expenses. Those selected will be notified by July 3, 2008.
Eligibility Criteria: In order to qualify for the AEA International Travel Award, applicants must meet all criteria below:
• Have not previously participated in AEA conferences;
• Demonstrate good fluency in English, being able to make a professional presentation and sustain a discussion in English (potential award winners may be interviewed by one of the International and Cross-Cultural TIG Co-Chairs as part of the selection process);
• Submit a complete INDIVIDUAL application (no group applications will be accepted!) including cover letter, budget, and letters of reference;
• Reside and practice evaluation in a developing country or country in transition for at least two years;
• Propose to present at the Evaluation 2008 conference and have at least one proposal accepted.
The Submission Process: Begin by reviewing the proposal submission guidelines online at http://www.eval.org/eval2008/08proposals.htm. You may submit a proposal to make any type of presentation focusing on any evaluation topic.
To apply for the travel award, (1) submit the proposal to present, using the regular conference proposal submission guidelines, by the March 14, 2008, deadline, and (2) send an email to Tessie Catsambas at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents:
• A cover letter, of no more than two pages, indicating (a) your unique evaluation experience that could be shared with evaluators in similar/different settings, (b) how you expect this opportunity to enhance your work in evaluation in your home country, (c) your eligibility for the award as defined by the criteria listed above, and (d) your full contact information: email, telephone, postal address, and work affiliation.
• A budget, indicating your expected travel expenses
• Two letters of support, one of which must come from, and document your membership in, your local evaluation association (if one exists), and your full contact information: email, telephone, postal address, and work affiliation.
Proposals should be in English, while letters of support may be in a different language (English, Spanish, or French are preferred). Reviewers will rank the candidates based on the quality and relevance of the proposals submitted by the applicant for presentation at the conference and the quality of the supporting documentation (cover letter and letters of support).
Assistance With Your Proposal and Application: If you are considering applying for an international travel subsidy and would like assistance in developing and compiling your conference proposal and/or your travel award application, please contact Tessie Catsambas at email@example.com on or before Friday, February 29, 2008. We will connect you with a coach from AEA's International and Cross-cultural Topical Interest Group.
Application Deadline: Friday, March 14, 2008 at midnight in the Eastern time zone in the United States. Please note that this is the same deadline as for submitting a conference proposal and that you must have both submitted your conference proposal AND emailed your supporting documents to Tessie Catsambas on or before Friday, March 14, 2008.